Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Something I'm Reading

I had trouble deciding what to post for this one, not because I'm not reading, but because I wasn't sure which book I wanted to tell you about. This book has become a nightstand feature for the last couple months. It's a very meticulous, but in some ways non-traditional translation, and I've found it quite interesting. Motyer is very careful to explain the words he's chosen and what the meanings of the various Hebrew words are. It's clear that he loves the Bible and the book of Isaiah and knows a great deal about them.
Here's his translation of a famous Christmas passage:
"Therefore the Sovereign himself will give you a sign:
Behold!
The virgin is pregnant,
and going to give birth to a son.
And she will call his name Immanuel."
Isaiah 7:14


No comments:

Post a Comment