Monday, August 26, 2013

Berries, grapes and butterflies

It's been a busy summer. I've been working full time and while it's a real blessing to have a job, and to be able to save up for the future, it keeps me from getting out and taking pictures as much. I wish I had time for more adventures with my camera, but I guess this is a season where that will just be a bit more of a challenge. 

Well, we have gotten to do some fun things lately. One of those was going on our annual huckleberry-picking outing. We head up into Gifford Pinchot National Forest to do our picking. The berries were great! Sweet, juicy, and wild.  



Huckleberry hands. :-) My dear friend Breanna's and mine. 

Our little huckleberry harvest.

We've had another little harvest here at home. Our grape vine that we've had for three or four years finally produced some real grape clusters! City girl that I am, I was really excited to watch the whole process from tiny flower clusters to fully ripened grapes.

We've also had some golden raspberries ripening.

Another find out in the yard--I'm pretty sure this is a skipper. There have been lots of them on Mom's lavender bush.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, that's a Woodland Skipper, a very widespread and common skipper, but this is a different subspecies than what I'm used to! The ones on the other side of the Cascades are lighter orange with smaller and less-obvious pale orange patches. I've never seen one this dark with such big patches before! They love late-season flowers.

    ReplyDelete