Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Backyard Wildlife

Today I'm continuing the unintentional birds/wildlife theme that I've had over the last several posts.
For Christmas Dad got Mom a really nice birdfeeder that's supposed to be squirrel-proof. We were skeptical, but I have to say, it seems to be working. The squirrels have tried and tried, but to my knowledge they haven't gotten any seed. I think it's supposed to be raccoon-proof, too, but today we realized something we hadn't thought about before--it's not deer-proof. See the evidence below.

Because the feeder is weight sensitive, it closes the ports when squirrels hang on it. Deer don't need to hang on it, they can just lick the seed out with their tongues. Oh well, our deer population doesn't seem too large, so I don't think this will be a huge issue. Sadly, this deer seems to have been lame; maybe that's why he was up by the house eating seed in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment